If you have ever keenly observed a police officer, you might have seen a big Radio Scanner in their hands which h looks like a big wireless phone. A Radio Scanner is a (receiving) communication device which is capable of automatically tune and scan various frequencies. These scanners are commonly used by firefighters, race car drivers, astronauts etc.
Types of Radio Scanner
• Handheld: Handheld scanners are handy and mobile, it looks like a wireless phone with an antenna. These scanners are best to use outdoors.
• Base: Base Radio scanners are used by those who use it at home. A home base unit.
A radio scanner consists of a receiver, an amplifier, a control centre, speaker, and an AM/FM tuner. A receiver work is to catch the signals like AM signals or FM signals which are continuously transmitted by a source like a Radio station. These radio signals are transmitted at various frequencies these radio frequencies are filtered by using the tuner the AM/FM channels.
The radio signals received are weak and are amplified by the integrated Amplifier and sent to the output (speaker).
Modes in the Scanner
A Radio Scanner has three modes:
• Manual Scan
Scan Mode: Receiver continuously searches for the signals, using a knob a specific channel or frequency can be tuned. Blinking LEDs or Display shows the channels you are tuned in.
Manual Scan: Like an FM radio which has a certain list of channels which are preprogrammed. In Radio scanner also, you may manually setup channels.
Search Mode: When a User doesn’t know the frequency of any channels but wants to scan and search the frequency that is available in that area. This mode will search and list all the channels available.
How to get started with a Radio scanner
• Refer manual: Start with reading the manual which comes with a product. Each product is a little different, so a quick review of manual will be helpful.
• Find frequency: The next step would be searching for the channels or frequency, by using search mode you may find a list of channels or frequencies that are active in your area. You may also search online the list of channels that are locally active.
• PGM Button: Press the programming button and press it for a while to turn it on. You may see CH characters blink in the display.
• Enter the frequency of the channel you want to tune with.
Buttons in the Radio scanner:
Function, Menu, Lockout, Scan and hold. These buttons may vary in the different products. Shows the features in the Radio Scanner. The menu button is used to setup various functionality like brightness, volume level etc. Scan button scans the various frequency. Hold button holds the scanner on the current channel and resume when it is pressed again.
Radio Scanner is used by Cops, firefighters, reporters, auto racers, ship crew, personnel crew etc